WYSIWYG, which stands for "What You See Is What You Get," is a term commonly used to describe a content editing interface or tool that allows users to create and edit digital content in a visual manner, resembling the final output as closely as possible. The term originated in software development but has been widely adopted in various MarTech applications. Visual controls and formatting options eliminate the need for users to have coding knowledge or rely on technical expertise to create and modify content.
WYSIWYG editors can be found in various MarTech tools, including:
- Website builders: Platforms like WordPress, Wix, and Squarespace offer WYSIWYG editors that allow users to create and customize websites by dragging and dropping elements, adjusting layouts, and formatting text.
- Content management systems (CMS): CMS platforms such as Drupal, Joomla, and TYPO3 often feature WYSIWYG editors that simplify content creation and editing for website administrators and authors.
- Email marketing software: Email service providers like Mailchimp, Constant Contact, and Campaign Monitor provide WYSIWYG editors for designing and composing visually appealing emails by adding images, text, buttons, and other interactive elements.
Benefits and Utilities
- Ease of use: WYSIWYG editors make content creation and editing accessible to users without technical expertise. They provide a familiar, intuitive interface that resembles the final output, enabling users to see how their content will appear to their audience.
- Increased productivity: WYSIWYG editors streamline content creation by allowing users to see immediate changes as they make them, enabling faster iteration and experimentation, leading to improved productivity and quicker content delivery.
- Time and cost savings: With WYSIWYG editors, users can create and modify content in real-time, eliminating the need for the back-and-forth with developers or designers, saving time, and reducing costs associated with outsourcing content creation or making frequent edits.
- Empowerment of non-technical users: WYSIWYG editors empower non-technical users, such as marketers or content creators, to take control of content creation and management. They can independently create visually appealing and engaging content without relying on developers or designers.
- Visual consistency: WYSIWYG editors ensure consistency across different devices and screen sizes. Users can preview their content in real-time, ensuring it appears as intended on desktops, tablets, and mobile devices.
- Collaboration and teamwork: WYSIWYG editors facilitate collaboration among team members involved in content creation. Multiple users can work on the same document simultaneously, making edits and revisions in real time.
Utilizing WYSIWYG -"What You See Is What You Get"- tools enable individuals with no technical expertise to generate and modify digital content proficiently. Its user-friendly interface facilitates enhanced productivity and the creation of visually appealing and consistent content. In essence, WYSIWYG is an innovative solution that revolutionizes the content editing experience for those seeking a simple and uncomplicated approach.